Running CWIS on localhost XAMPP

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
fredriley
Running CWIS on localhost XAMPP

Hi again

I tried and failed to get a CWIS installation running on a Windows 8 localhost under XAMPP some months back (see this thread). Seeing a new version for download, v3.2, I thought I'd try again. The installation went fine, other than a few PHP warnings/notices, and the CWIS home appears, again with PHP warnings. I try to login with the admin credentials I created (admin/cwis_admin) and nothing happens - the end-user home page reappears, without any admin options. I'm using XAMPP 5.6.3 which is running PHP 5.6.3  and MySQL 5.6.21.

Should CWIS be able to run under such a configuration? If so, could someone suggest how I could successfully login as admin and reach the Administrator screen?

Fred

chalpin
Re: Running CWIS on localhost XAMPP

Yes, CWIS should be able to run in such an environment. We've successfully installed CWIS under Windows 7 with XAMPP 5.5.19. The only substantive issue we encountered in our testing was that XAMPP did not ship the openssl PHP extension, which is required for the CWIS 'secure login' feature.  However, unchecking 'secure login' checkbox was all that was required to work around this.

Testing against newer XAMPP versions, like 5.6.3, has been sufficiently lower priority that we've not yet experimented with it.

Can you try with the 'Secure Login' checkbox unticked?

fredriley
Re: Running CWIS on localhost XAMPP

Again I've left it rather a long time to reply to this. A few points:

1. I retried the installation procedure, and got a few warnings during it although it did say "installation complete". 

2. Going to the main CWIS home, the login box on the right has the following warning:

Warning: openssl_csr_export() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given inC:\xampp\htdocs\cwis\objects\SPTUser.phpon line 87

3. The login problem as above recurs. There is no way to log in as admin. 

4. There is no "secure login" checkbox to untick. 

5. I've deleted the database in phpMyAdmin, then rerun the installation by renaming installcwis.php.SAVE to installcwis.php and running that. I've entered a complex password for 'admin'. No dice. 

I'll have to give CWIS a miss. I've already spent many hours, on and off, trying to get to first base and failing ignominiously. At least if I roll my own database application I know that it'll work, and I'll be in complete control. A shame to duplicate effort, mind... :(

Fred