[SPT/CWIS] Problems with New Accounts/Reset of passwords

Dan Smith-IT Dan.Smith at laureate-inc.com
Mon Jul 14 09:27:02 CDT 2008

Ed,

Thanks. Using X-RESETPARAMETERS-X  did the trick for the reset password
text.

For our new account email, we have the following in the Account Activation
Text.

Thank you for signing up on this online resource portal.  Below is
your new login name and password.

    Account Name:  X-USERNAME-X
        Password:  X-PASSWORD-X

To activate your account visit https://cwis.waldenu.edu/X-ACTIVATIONURL-X

After logging in you can change your password via Preferences.

And it sends an email that looks like this.

Thank you for signing up on this online resource portal.  Below is
your new login name and password.

   Account Name:  twinky
       Password:  X-PASSWORD-X

To activate your account visit
https://cwis.waldenu.edu/?UN=twinky&AC=449D2B

After logging in you can change your password via Preferences.

Would this also be due to mod_rewrite rules in Apache?

Thanks,

Dan Smith
Web Content and Collaboration Analyst
Laureate Online Education
410-528-7637
Mobile: 410-818-0764
dan.smith at laureate-inc.com

Edward Almasy <ealmasy at scout.wisc.edu>
Sent by: spt-cwis-users-bounces at scout.wisc.edu
07/10/2008 05:05 PM
Please respond to
SPT / CWIS Users Discussion List <spt-cwis-users at scout.wisc.edu>

SPT / CWIS Users Discussion List <spt-cwis-users at scout.wisc.edu>
cc

Subject
Re: [SPT/CWIS] Problems with New Accounts/Reset of passwords

On Jul 10, 2008, at 3:21 PM, Dan Smith-IT wrote:
> For Reset password, the adminstration panel is currently set to send
> the following email out:
>
> You can reset your password by visiting the following link.
> https://cwis.waldenu.edu/X-RESETURL-X
>
> X-RESETCODE-X
> X-USERNAME-X
> X-RESETURL-X
>
> When it sends an email, it sends out the following:
>
> You can reset your password by visiting the following link.
> https://cwis.waldenu.edu/?UN=twinky&RC=40CD82D67C
>
> 40CD82D67C
> twinky
> ?UN=twinky&RC=40CD82D67C

The value for the password reset URL is derived from the Apache
REQUEST_URI environment variable.  Do you have mod_rewrite rules in
your Apache configuration that may be preventing this value from being
set accurately?

You can probably get around the problem by using X-RESETPARAMETERS-X
instead of X-RESETURL-X like this:

    You can reset your password by visiting the following link.
    https://cwis.waldenu.edu/SPT--ResetPassword.phpX-RESETPARAMETERS-X

The X-RESETPARAMETERS-X value will supply the URL parameters needed
for the password reset page.

What's very odd is that if the e-mail template in your message is
correct, the "https://cwis.waldenu.edu/" portion in the resulting
password reset e-mail should be followed by another "
http://cwis.waldenu.edu/
" something like this:

    You can reset your password by visiting the following link.

https://cwis.waldenu.edu/http://cwis.waldenu.edu/?UN=twinky&RC=40CD82D67C

Because the "http://" piece is hard-coded into the value that replaces
X-RESETURL-X.

Ed

---
    Edward Almasy                             ealmasy at scout.wisc.edu
    Co-Director                                 1210 W Dayton Street
    Internet Scout                                  Madison WI 53706
    Computer Sciences Department                608-262-6606 (voice)
    University of Wisconsin - Madison             608-265-9296 (fax)