Access Privileges

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
ripley
Access Privileges

I think it has to be documented somewhere, I'm just not finding it...

Where are the definitions for the access privileges? Some of the privileges are self explainatory but some I'm confused by.

ealmasy
Re: Access Privileges

In the current (3.0.0) version of the software, the definitions for all of the standard privilege flags in the User Administration Help section, under the User Access Privilege Flags section.  I've cut and pasted it below.

Can Post Resource Comments

Users with this privilege flag may add comments to resource records on the site. Resource comments must be enabled for this privilege flag to be useful and new user accounts have this privilege by default, unless the Default New User Privileges setting has been customized.

Can Post To Forums

Users with this privilege flag may post messages to the user forums on the site. Forums must be enabled for this privilege flag to be useful and new user accounts have this privilege by default, unless the Default New User Privileges setting has been customized.

Classification Administrator

Users with this privilege flag may build and maintain the classification taxonomy (e.g., Computers > Hardware > Keyboards > Wireless Keyboards) for the collection.

Collection Administrator

Users with this privilege flag may manage the collection, i.e., edit the OAI server settings, export data, modify the metadata schema, etc.

Controlled Names Administrator

Users with this privilege flag may create and modify controlled name fields, e.g., Publisher and Creator, and are generally responsible for codifying and editing the name forms across the controlled name fields.

Forum Administrator

Users with this privilege flag may control the discussions within the user forums on the site. They can add or edit forums, topics, and messages.

Master Resource Administrator

Users with this privilege flag may edit the metadata records for every resource on the site, and are typically in charge of developing, editing, and maintaining the resource records in the collection. They are not able to add names or vocabulary to any of the controlled name attribute lists or classification schema.

News Administrator

Users with this privilege flag may add and edit the news item announcements that are displayed on the home page.

Personal Resource Administrator

Users with this privilege flag may create resource records but only edit the ones that they created. They are not allowed to add names or vocabulary to any of the controlled name attribute lists or classification schema.

Release Flag Administrator

Users with this privilege flag may modify the value of the Release Flag field for any resource record. The Release Flag field is a default metadata field that controls whether resource records are publicly viewable. This privilege flag can be used in tandem with or distinct from the Resource Administrator privilege flag, depending on the desired workflow.

System Administrator

Users with this privilege flag may control the overall management and configuration of the site. They may not remove this privilege flag from their accounts, which is meant to prevent them from accidentally making it impossible to manage or configure the site.

User Account Administrator

Users with this privilege flag may view, edit, and delete registered user accounts. They may not remove this privilege flag from their own accounts, which is meant to prevent them from accidentally making it impossible to manage user accounts.

ripley

Thank you!

guidicini

Hello,

I recently updated CWIS from version 2.4.0 to 3.9.0

The update process was ok but now those users who could manage resources before are no more able to do that.

In particular... If i have understood well if i create a new user in CWIS and asign to it the flag "Master Resource Administrator" only, he or she is expected to view and edit any resource previously saved in the database.

On the contrary I have created a brand new user, activated it and then assigned that flag only. He can login to CWIS and view a resource record, but all the fields but screenshots are not editable.

Why this doesn't happen? 

Have i missed some step in the upgrade?

Please can you help me on this point? 

Thank you so much!

Fabrizio

ealmasy

I would suggest checking the schema-wide permssions for the Resource schema.  You can find those by going into the Metadata Field Editor, selecting that schema (via the dropdown in the upper right), and then clicking the "Edit" button.  That will bring up a page where you can edit which privileges and conditions are required for authoring, editing, and viewing any field in that schema.

If the schema-wide permissions all look okay, I would then check the permissions for individual fields within the schema, to see if for some reason they're set in a way that prevents the user from editing the fields.