Installing CWIS on SUSE

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
sfischer
Installing CWIS on SUSE

Has anyone experienced success installing CWIS on SUSE (ver 11 SP2)? I tried installing CWIS on a SUSE box last summer as well as this past week without success. I'm able to get thru the installation process and reach a successful completion, but when I click the link to access the new site I get a blank page and/or a Server 500 error based on which browser I'm using to access the site.

I'm using virtual hosting on the box and have Drupal systems that are being served from that system. I've never had any problems installing CWIS on Fedora servers using virtual hosting. I suspect there could be an issue with the .htaccess file, though I've verified it is being read. Any verifications of being able (or unable) to run CWIS on a SUSE system with virtual hosting would be most appreciated!

ealmasy
Re: Installing CWIS on SUSE

Here at Scout we're running CWIS on Red Hat, CentOS, and OS X, and I've talked to people running it on Fedora, Gentoo, Ubuntu, and Mandriva, and I suspect at this point it's run more on virtual servers than physical servers.  While I don't know of anyone running it under SUSE, I also don't know of any reason why it should work fine under that distribution, but if there is a problem with SUSE we'd like to figure it out and get it resolved for anyone using that environment.

Have you tried moving the .htaccess file aside after installation, to see if that helps?  CWIS can run without it (albeit without some of the clean URL niceties).  A 500 error usually indicates either a server configuration problem or an issue in the .htaccess file, and since you're running Drupal successfully on that system, a .htaccess error seems very likely.

sfischer

I removed .htaccess from the CWIS directory and attempted access. I no longer receive an error, but I get a blank page. When I look at the Source, I see the following coding:

</div> <!-- end cw-segment-body -->

<div class="cw-table-fauxcell" id="cw-segment-toolbox">
        <div>

<!-- BEGIN LOGIN AREA -->

tbaumgard

Do you happen to have SELinux or AppArmor installed for security purposes? They might be interfering with the web server if you do. If it's possible and safe to do so, try temporarily disabling them along with any other security software you have installed on the machine.

Also, what web server and version are you using?

Here's some SUSE-specific information on SELinux and AppArmor:
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:SELinux
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:AppArmor

sfischer

I've disabled security and have gotten the same result. This week I started from scratch and built a new SUSE Enterprise 11 SP2 server. I verified MySQL and PHP were configured correctly and was able to go thru the CWIS installation process where I got the message stating the installation was successful and to click the link to access the new site. Clicking the link brought up a white screen - I checked source code and nothing's there, it's simply empty.

I may have stumbled across a clue as I took a look at the Apache logs. Here's a sample of what I'm seeing (my test site is named antarctica)

::1 DateStamp...  "GET /antarctica/index.php HTTP:/1.1" 500 1 http://localhost/antarctica/installcwis.php "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; rv:10.0.11) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/10.0.11

I am a little puzzled as to why it appears that the index.php is making a call to installcwis.php. Something doesn't seem right, and I feel like I should be seeing a connection. I welcome any insight anyone has that could point me in the right direction.

tbaumgard

CWIS redirects to the installcwis.php page from the index.php page when it looks like it hasn't been installed, i.e., the config.php file is missing or a NEWVERSION file is present. So, are you missing the config.php file from or is there a NEWVERSION file in the top-level directory of CWIS? If so, what are the file permissions of those files?

It looks like you're still getting an HTTP status code of 500 (Internal Server Error). As Ed mentioned earlier, those kinds of errors typically stem from problems with the web server configuration or .htaccess files. I'd double-check your Apache configuration and set aside the .htaccess file in CWIS, as well as others in any parent directories, if you haven't already.