CWIS and XAMPP

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
fredriley
CWIS and XAMPP

I'm wanting to install CWIS on the latest XAMPP on my PC for testing, and have run the installation script. However, the SQL root user in XAMPP has no password, and if I leave the password field blank I get the CWIS error:

"No database password was supplied."

Fair enough, but I know from experience that messing with the root user in MYSQL leads to trouble so I want to leave it at the default. Is there a way to evade this error? Thanks :)

chalpin
Re: CWIS and XAMPP

I'd suggest creating a dedicated mysql user for your CWIS instance. It's also generally a good idea to have dedicated database users in production.

XAMPP includes phpmyadmin at localhost/phpmyadmin, so you should be able to use the following steps:

1. Go to http://localhost/phpmyadmin and log in as your mysql root user.
  2. Click "User Accounts" along the nav at the top
  3. Click the "Add user account"  button near the bottom of the page.
  4. In the "Database for user account" section, checking either of the two checkboxes ("Create database with same name and grant all privileges." or "Grant all privileges on wildcard name (username\_%).") will be sufficient to give your new user suitable database permissions.
fredriley

Thanks for the reply, which assures me that CWIS continues to be supported. Nearly as soon as I posted the query, it occurred to me to create a MySQL user for the CWIS installation. Pretty obvious, really, but by the time I thought of it I was on road and offline. D'OH!!

I'm intending to use CWIS for a links collection of mine at www.fredriley.org.uk/callhull but want to try it on localhost to see if I can adapt it to the collection. I did try this many years back but it didn't work out for reasons lost in the mists of time, but I see that CWIS was relatively recently updated in 2018 so I'm hopeful I can wrangle it into submission :o)

fredriley

Hi

I've tried a locahost installation of CWIS, with its own MYSQL user, and at the end I got:

"Error creating administrator account (22)"

This after a whole bunch of "deprecated" warnings along the lines of:

Deprecated: Array and string offset access syntax with curly braces is deprecated in C:\xampp\htdocs\cwis\include\EnvSetup.php on line 209

Can anyone suggest a way around this? The deprecated notices could be removed by changing the PHP error level, but the error code is opaque. I appreciate that CWIS should be installed on a live server, but I'm using a hosting account so there may well be some faff involved so I'd like to test locally first.

Fred